Friday 3 February 2012

Why Working Digitally is WIN

I've been learning Photoshop for only a very short time - a month or two at most. But already I am finding there are huge advantages when working digitally - besides a super-efficient eraser. 

One of the things I have found so useful is the ability to change colour balances, brightness and contrast in an image you are working on. This allows me to take an image that was flat and uninteresting:


And rework it to something much more interesting! This way I get to keep all my hard work and still can make sweeping changes - such as changing the setting from day to night.


Likewise, even a slight colour rebalance can vastly improve the feeling of an entire image. One of my fellow artists was kind enough to rebalance this image of the Stranger for me. While he started like this:


Removing some distracting background elements and adding a lot more darkness, contrast and (strangely enough) purple, creates a much more menacing figure.


In many ways I've learnt that there's a lot more to any image than meets the eye. Subtle mechanisms: colour, composition and many other aspects of design all come into play and influence you. Part of being an artist is learning to manipulate these. I am just beginning. ;)

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment